Manufacturing Cost Accountant
Edmund Optics is seeking a Manufacturing Cost Accountant. He/she is responsible for all aspects of Manufacturing and Production costing analysis and inventory for all business locations. The cost accountant is responsible for comparing standard cost to actual cost and identifying and explaining variances by customer, part number and production order. The cost accountant must also work closely with manufacturing personnel to resolve variances and adjust Bills of Materials (BOM’s) and Routers.
- Develop and maintain cost accounting system that ensures accurate costing
- Produce daily production, variance and ad hoc reports
- Review and analyze standard and actual costs for variances and prepare reports
- Update standard costs and ensure accuracy in the Bill of Materials (BOM’s) and Routers
- Prepare, analyze and report monthly gross margin analysis by customer, part number and production order,
- Analyze changes in product design, raw materials, manufacturing methods, or services to determine effects on costs
- Study and collect data to determine costs of business activities such as raw material purchases, inventory and labor
- Design, develop and analyze reports used in the quoting process to include burden and break-even
- Responsible for account reconciliation, physical inventories and cycle counts
- Assist in month-end and year-end closing by preparing journal entries and analyzing inventory
- Report on breakeven points by products, work centers, and factories
- Comply with applicable federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
- Work on special projects as required
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a strong Manufacturing Cost system background and excellent accounting skills
- Proficiency in accounting related computer programs, SAP ERP systems a plus
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and recommend alternative solutions or approaches to problems
- Proficiency in Excel, experience in manipulating large databases a plus
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Good communication skills and ability to work independently or as part of multi-department team
- Prepare data for and work with outside auditors
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance and/or Engineering and three (3) to five (5) years in manufacturing cost accounting experience.
Ability to lift up to 15 pounds and operate office equipment such as a copier; ability to see details at a close range; ability to sit at desk or PC for long periods of time; work in office setting.
About the Company
Edmund Optics is a leading supplier of optical components, designing and manufacturing a wide array of multi-element lenses, lens coatings, imaging systems, and opto-mechanical equipment. Recently voted #1 Preferred Supplier of Optical Components in the US by Readex Research, we are proud to assist customers in a wide variety of applications from medical devices to inspection systems to laboratory research. While Edmund Optics is well known for its catalog, we offer much more to customers, including a wide array of engineering and manufacturing services. Our worldwide presence in the United States, Japan, China, Germany, Korea, the United Kingdom and Singapore allows us to service a global audience with local support and languages. Edmund Optics remains focused on providing our customers with the largest selection and inventory of optical components in the world, along with quick delivery and outstanding technical support. We invite you to learn more about our dynamic company and culture online at: www.edmundoptics.com
We recognize people as our most valuable asset. Our competitive salary and benefits package includes matching 401k, dental insurance, medical insurance, disability benefits, prescription drug coverage, confidential employee assistance programs, pre-tax accounts for health care, reimbursement for health club costs, life insurance, a vision-care plan, paid company holidays, and tuition reimbursement. Relocation support available for qualified candidates.