Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer
Edmund Optics is looking for an Opto-Mechanical Engineer with experience in the Optics, Machine Vision or Defense industry to develop mechanical designs for internal product development and external customers. The ideal candidate will have past experience creating and tolerancing mechanical designs for lens barrels and irises for lens assemblies. Experience designing diamond turning fixtures a plus. Experience creating assemblies to withstand environmental testing such as vibration, submersion and thermal shock a plus.
- Execute opto-mechanical designs for product development and external customers.
- Apply tolerances to optical, mechanical components with feedback from Optical designer.
- Design evaluation for product development and external customers.
- Presentation of results of designs and analysis of performance.
- Participate in Design Reviews.
- Check designs of other engineers for errors.
- Draft manufacturing prints.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understanding of optical principles and optical design and Optomechanical design
- Understanding of basic optical principals and basic mechanical principals
- Familiarity of lab techniques
- Familiarity in Optical design software (Zemax, Code V) and CAD software (Solidworks)
- Knowledge of company products and applications
- Understanding of document control
- Great communication, organization, and math skills
- Motivated and self-starter
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Opticals, or equivalent experience; five (5) or more years experience in the optical industry or equivalent.
Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time; operate office equipment; work in office setting; occasional assembly of direct mail packets; occasional packing of materials for tradeshow from warehouse.
About the Company
Edmund Optics is a leading supplier of optical components, designing and manufacturing a wide array of multi-element lenses, lens coatings, imaging systems, and opto-mechanical equipment. Recently voted #1 Preferred Supplier of Optical Components in the US by Readex Research, we are proud to assist customers in a wide variety of applications from medical devices to inspection systems to laboratory research. While Edmund Optics is well known for its catalog, we offer much more to customers, including a wide array of engineering and manufacturing services. Our worldwide presence in the United States, Japan, China, Germany, Korea, the United Kingdom and Singapore allows us to service a global audience with local support and languages. Edmund Optics remains focused on providing our customers with the largest selection and inventory of optical components in the world, along with quick delivery and outstanding technical support. We invite you to learn more about our dynamic company and culture online at: www.edmundoptics.com
We recognize people as our most valuable asset. Our competitive salary and benefits package includes matching 401k, dental insurance, medical insurance, disability benefits, prescription drug coverage, confidential employee assistance programs, pre-tax accounts for health care, reimbursement for health club costs, life insurance, a vision-care plan, paid company holidays, and tuition reimbursement. Relocation support available for qualified candidates.